Friday, February 2, 2018

Weekend of First for this Green Bean!

It was our First FEI Ride to Attend (Best vets in the world btw!), Our first camp and Ride on our own, Our First 50 on our own (3rd 50 ever for Merlin). 

Ok so way ahead of myself....Its because its my first Blog too.



Getting ready for an endurance ride so soooo much work.  There are a million reasons why I love our team (Wind Riders) Mentor, Cressy.  Her husband says she puts the "anal" in anal retentive... is that true??? Hmmmm.... maybe a little or a lot!! 😉 lol  Those of you that know her, you get to decide.  She has checklists for checklists and I love it!  Now I have a checklist to prep the entire week of an endurance ride, a checklist for the day we leave, a checklist for the day I arrive, a checklist for the ride day, a checklist for the holds, and a checklist for what to do after the ride and this is all thanks to Team Mom, Cressy :).  Do I follow all the checklist 100%?... does printing them and looking at them over and over count?  I do my best to follow them for sure.  The checklist are always are growing with additional things I need to bring for the next ride.  One important thing to add to checklist for next time, ATM CARD!!!!!!  The night before leaving I got cash for the entrance fee.
Packing: 


Side Note:At this time I pulled enough for two 25 LDs because I hadn't planned on a 50.  Physically we were prepared because I was wanting to attend Tonto Twist the weekend before. I am a government employee and there was a furlough blah blah, but that's a different story for a different time...  


I get loaded up and ready to go, pull in for gas and guess who realizes they do not have their card and left it in the ATM the night before!!! NoOOOOOOO!!!   I run to the bank praying someone brought it in, nope.  I called my husband in a panic and my oldest son heard me.  He said, "Mom I got 40$ you can have just go."  Then Noah my husband pipes in, " this is important, Ill run to the ATM and meet you on the Highway on your way out.  Go.  Ill take care of everything with the card"
My boys are my Heros!!!!

Arrival:

I have been to this ride several times before and have found it super cool but for some reason this time it was so different.  Turning in the Drive with the AERC Sign, I just want to scream Im so excited!!!




I loved this time just being us, I felt like such a grown up (Im almost 40 but still sooo immature and lost in the world).  I brought my two protectors Jack, the Boston that is near the age of 18 and Dusty my handy dandy side kick.

  Just in case some creepo wanted to enter my trailer they would threaten to tear its neck out, and also that way i could sleep with the shade open watching Merlin and if anything got close to the trailer they could threaten to rip its neck out.... (Watch out for my viscous.... OLLLLLLLD Dogs lol ) 


As I'm setting up I let them go potty and I look over and see old man Jack looking at me from inside someone else's trailer and Dusty is sitting out front!  What the heck! I dont know these people and Im so embarrassed. Tie outs 24-7 and tons of apologies in order...Once that is taken care of (and the people were so dang nice btw) i finished camp set up.


Sign Up:

Karen, the ride manager, comes to my trailer and tells me if I'm ready to sign up that her daughter Jessica is now taking registration and payment.  Walking towards her I still plan on doing two 25's however, I'm so disappointed about it.  I wanted to do a 50 and keep Merlin on our plan.  Ms. Maribel Paulson walks up to discuss my plans.


Side Note:  If you ever get the chance to meet anyone at rides Maribel , Earl , Mike , and his wife Evanna... the best people ever!!! Its kinda cheating for me because even though I don't have Cressy with me at the ride, I know each one of them are watching everything to make sure I am on the right path, my horse looks good, and success is in our way....did I say I blessed, if not I am!

Maribel tells me she called ahead and the trail is going to be very nice.  She advised if I am considering a 50 mile ride, this ride couldn't be better.  That's all I needed to hear.  I handed over my money and signed up for the 50.  I went back to tell Merlin, he better eat up its serious business tomorrow. :)  Its like he knew and was ready.    He continued to eat as I braided his tail.  I decided not to braid his mane because it was cool already and I knew the next day would stay pretty cold as well.


I didn't tell my team yet because I feared failure I guess.  I didn't want to tell them, then something happen because I diverted from plan.  I wanted so badly to do this 50 for the Green Bean team points, for my horse, and for me!  It was a huge deal.  A ton of stuff to freak out about in my book :)

Vet In:

I'm sure everyone feels the same way about their horse.  However I love the vet in.  I always feel so proud of Merlin.  He's calm as a cucumber.  I'm always so afraid when I do the trot out his impulse will be marked down because he stands there like he is ready for a nap.


Our Vet introduced himself and he was from Costa Rica!  Then I am super excited because I remember this is a FEI ride.  I get the best vets ever to look over my guy the entire ride!!! (most important is my boy and keeping him happy and healthy.  To finish is to win, right?!)
Merlin pepped up for the trot out, and it went perfect.

As I'm walking away I hear the Vet tell another Vet "man, that's a nice horse".  He was talking about Merlin!! I stopped by to brag about Merlin to Maribel and then almost skipped back to the trailer!




Night Before Prep:

I went over my checklist and got everything ready for in the morning.  I had all Merlin's gear laid out out and ready.  Leg boots connected the trailer with their velcro.  I would Destin them up in the morning.  The Bridle and halter sat out on my table with my bucket of brushes, Destin, and cowboy magic.   I set the saddle in my trailer and the pad so that it will be nice and warm for Merlin in the morning.

I mixed electrolytes for the entire day (before ride, the two holds, after ride, and extra just in case ) .  I added the back up electrolytes and syringe to my saddle in case I felt he needed it while out on trail.
I then gave Merlin his night before dose of  CMC and Electrolytes.   He can be a bit of a pill for this part.  He holds in his mouth and spits it out.  This time, i think I got it down.  I cut my syringe all the way to the end so that it sprays out really well.  I put in his mouth and boom..... down the hatch.  He still pouted until I shared an apple with him.  Then he was ready to get right back to the chow. 

I blanketed him because it was cool.  I fluffed his hay as I was taught... and he likes it.  And let him be.  Although when i get in bed my window faces him and I listen and watch him like a mother with a newborn infant.

Side Note: One thing I have learned over the few rides I have taken him to...what he eats at home is not the case at the ride.  I usually mix his ultium and alfalfa pellets, soak them up and he slops it like a pig.  At a ride i never know.  So I made him wet mix, I made him dry mix, and then I made him buckets with the separate.  I gave him water with oats....This way he felt like he was at Golden Corral and at like it too. 

Time for Bed:

Does anyone sleep the night before a ride? 😔 I was so nervous about doing the 50 verses the 25!

Anxiety to the max!!!   I was so worried, that I may have bit off more than I could chew.  I kept going over the map in my mind worrying about being lost.  I didn't tell my team (well except for one person whose encouragement was sooooo helpful).   I laid in bed and I prayed.
I just gave it all to God or tried.  I prayed that Merlin be strong and successful.  That I would take care of him and he take care of me.  I prayed for his safety and health most of all.  I love this horse and do not want to injure him.

I finally fell asleep about 10 pm.  Then I woke up at 1230 because Merlin was outside making the Predator sound ( thats what my husband and boys call it....remember the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and the Predator made a creepy noise... Merlin makes that same one!).  I noticed he was staring at the Llamas that had walked up to camp.  (as I said before this wasn't my first time to this ride so I knew there were Llamas out there :) Nob big deal)    My neighbors horse also named Merlin :) was getting upset and she went outside with her Flashlight and they left.  I got to watch it all from my bed because 1. Im lazy and 2. I knew Merlin was fine.  The darn issue was I was awake to worry again!!!!  I guess that was alright...lots of more time for prayer and that is what I did.  I pretty much repeated everything... and fell asleep just in time for the alarm to go off.

Ride Day: 
Loop 1: 25 miles
Loop 2: 15 miles
Loop 3: 10 miles
45 min holds and hr has to be 60

Please God let us Succeed!!


 Ride started at 7 so i got up at 5.  Got to get the boy his breakfast and turn on the heater in the trailer so his pad and saddle are nice and warm.  (Another thing I learned from Cressy).


I saddled him while he ate, put on his rump rug to keep his booty warm.  I knew it would be a cool day and at the vet checks I wanted to keep his butt warm to avoid cramps.

So everything was going perfect!!! I went to start my GPS on my phone and saw I had no battery!!!! Ohhh no what if I get lost....
I had my solar battery on my saddle, that guess what??? Wasn't Charged!!!!!!!

To my rescue... here come Maribel to make sure i was ready and if I had any questions.  She went over the map with me one more time.  I got in saddle and warmed Merlin up.  Calm as a cucumber.... did great... Until the the other horses arrived.  Then he was ready!  So i had to pull him aside and have a talk...if only he understood me.  I think there was only 9 of us in the ride Im not sure though.   The start was controlled and great.

We got about a mile from camp and everyone started going their own pace.  Guess who Merlin wanted to keep up?  Mike Guy and Earle Baxter.  Oh heck no! These guys are always first place and Best Condition. Completely out of my League.
I would hold Merlin back and he'd pretend to be patient.  If I let him have just a little rein, he was snorting like a dragon.  I did my best to negotiate.  We could go fast as long as he slowed and listed to me where I needed him to... rocks, hills, etc. 
Old Hotel you ride by, amazing trail!!!! 

The start was flat for the first few miles and you couldn't keep the horses in front of you out of view.  Even if I couldnt see them I could see their dust and so could Merlin.  I was so worried about him wearing himself out to soon.  I let him canter to avoid a blow up, but would make him take trot breaks.   We did this over and over.   I was super concerned his trot would be too fast so he had to trot with sanity.  That I made him do.  Then we had to go down the canyon and he was still so fired up.  I was worried because it was down hill, and I was afraid he wasnt going to listen.  This part is rocky and the grade is significant enough you need to walk it.
part of the trail... as you can see quite rocky.  Going down has many more rocks


 So Merlin did it but not happily.  He was throwing snot, spit, his head, and shaking all over he wanted to go so bad... but he was walking.  It was an internal battle underneath my saddle. lol
Then we had to go back out of the canyon on the other side... still not ready for any speed because of terrain, I let him trot walk.

I remember the first time I did this ride on my mare the heights scared me and I got off and walked her.  This time I looked at it and it wasn't bad at all.  I really enjoyed myself. 

I was hoping the hills would tire Merlin a little so he would get into his right mind when we got out the canyon.   Ummmm no.  As soon as we come out he spotted Mike and Earl.  He was fighting me so bad to catch up with the guys.  I decided when it was clear enough to get off Merlin and try to distract him a bit.  A great time for me to potty (he usually does when I do, but not this time) but he did eat some grass.  I hung out there a few minutes to give them time to get out of site.

Then  here come Marcelle on Scout.  I was so worried because I knew that was a fast dude...but she was riding slow, Thank God!!! and got off with me and we walked down the Canyon from the other side.

Side Note: I always love chatting with her!  Another person you must meet if you have not... she always shares something super great about horse health and one of her rides.  Here she did both... she talked to me about how walking next to them is great because it give their backs a break and them a chance to regroup.  She also told me some Tevis stories, which I just soak because I want to do it so bad one day! 
this is the canyon your ride to the bottom of and come back out... takes some horse booty!

We got to the bottom of the Canyon and Marcelle went on so I could be just with my dude. 
We were around Mile 19.... and finally!! Sanity!! The last part of the loop was nice footing and I had a nice horse.  At the last water tank I met this amazing Gal: Melanie Martin❤ and her stallion, Titan❤.  We finished the last few miles together.

Vet Check Went beautifully.... All A's for both Merlin and Titan.   I went to feed Merlin and he wanted nothing to do with his food... He was staring at Titan a few trailers over instead of eating!!!!
I moved all his food to the other side of his panels so he could stare and eat like a weirdo psycho stalker.  He just ate a little but didn't drink as Id hoped.  I was freaking out!
We had went way faster than I planned. Thank goodness my GPS wasnt on.  I dont even want to know the speed, but it was fast.  He had A gut sounds at vet check but I was still freaking out because he only has 45 min to get water and food in.  I gave him his electrolytes walked him to the vet and guess what he drank!!!!
Maribel checked on me for loop 2, gave me the run down on trail.  I waited for Melanie since Merlin was in a bro-mance.  We rode the loop together at a perfect pace.  I loved riding with her.   She was doing all the things I do: walk rocks, canter where you can, and trot the rest.  We encouraged and reminded each other of all the things we have learned from the people we had met in this sport.   We had such a great conversation and I was so glad I met her.   Her stallion was a dream!  He was so well behaved.  If he didn't have the yellow ribbon I would have never known he was a stallion. 

2nd Loop was easy and fun... then the vet check.😐   I freak out at every vet check.  I am in knots until they say I can go on.  I stare at the vets face like a weirdo Im sure.  Especially on the trot back.  Im always trying to read them and they give me nothing!!!!!   2nd Loop All  As but a B on guts...

Poop!! Its because he didn't eat!!!   We get back to the trailer and this time he chows.   Yaaay! I clean his legs and rub his butt and give him the best pep talk I can for the last loop.  The 45 min goes by so quickly!!

Off we go on the 3rd Loop... This time Merlin was not as happy as he was at the start.  lol  He was not eager at all.  He trotted down trail with his ears pinned.. He was enjoying his food and I tore him away.  I wish I could explain to him its only 10 miles and they are easish miles! 
I tell Melanie Im bummed because Merlin has lost his motivation.  She was so positive and said, "dont worry, when that happens I just canter them.  It gets their blood pumping and they get excited again."  We do that for just a little strip and it worked just like she said.

Melanie and I have to take the boys back down the canyon with the rocks... We get off and jog it with them.  This actually allows us to make up time because riding we would walk it and this way they get to very slowly jog where they can and have a back break. 
We get to the bottom and head to the road.  We have about 2 miles on Hwy 1, its all up hill by the way.

Melanie and I just jog it.  Of course in spurts or you will have a heart attack, at least I felt like it.  By the time we get to the top, Merlin has figured out we are almost finished.  He's soooo pepped up.  We meet three other gals on trail and we tell them they can pass us.  We just want to finish on a good note.  When Melanie and I hop back in the saddle the boys are ready to finish!  It was such a great ride!

We make it to the Vet and Bam all As again!!! We finished!!! We did our first 50 all by ourselves... well with new friends but I had to make them lol.

I had such a good time.  I look forward to seeing my new friend Melanie again, I'm sure Merlin looks forward to seeing Titan lol .   I gained a lot of confidence this ride.  I left with so much thankfulness.  It was a beautiful trail.  The Vets were Amazing.


Now on to the next ride of 2018!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment